Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Week 2 Field Journal

INTRODUCTION

  • In this chapter, the book mainly talks about the history and origin of graphic design. The art of designing is said to make and allow one's expression be made and mediated to the public. Ways in which these are used are namely Packaging, Billboards and Identity. These are most of the time made in Publishing Houses, Print Shops, and also Media Companies.To take a look at examples of these can be accessed at the link below. Communication obviously a big factor in graphic designing. The various ways in which these designs are made are due to technology. Making something as simple as a billboard could be more complicated than you think when all you have is paper, ink and a pen. Not only have more tools been made for this tasks, but ones that make duplicating images, signs and carvings more convenient
  • Time Era

From as far back as the Stone Age Graphic designing has come a long way as far as communicating ideas, values, and beliefs. Designers were able to advertise various products with the help of packaging, labeling, thus they were being defined by the various tasks that they performed.Reading this chapter was able to make me realize how ignorant and unappreciative of the role of advertising and its significance in our everyday life. The culture in we surround ourselves with is represented by the food we eat, the clothes that we wear, our hairstyles, the houses that we live in, not forgetting the cars that we drive.
This is the car i drive reflecting my attitude and defining who i am




Personal Reflections

My eyes have become more open to my immediate surroundings and my environment. I have also come to realize that I bare designs that also transmit my attitude, values and also my culture to others. I usually wear very baggy jeans with embroidered back pockets which usually have pictures of plants and trees. These plants range from flowers to oaks, herbs, and roses. This is able to define me as one who likes to feel comfortable and also one who is influenced by the hip hop culture. The t-shirts that I wear have designs and labels that usually scream out their messages. Where I was raised a man is defined by what he wears and also by what he drives. The car I drive is a Buick Lesabre with a custom exhaust pipes and also speakers in the trunk. It also has twenty inch wheels. This represents the notion that we should be heard before we are seen and also the custom chrome wheels are supposed to represent wealth and success.

I took a few pictures of some houses, graffiti, restaurants, and some tattoos that represent one’s life style and how it might define an individual. It is interesting to put painters, menaces to society who do graffiti illegally, and also tattoo artists as graphic designers. The various places I compared were that of Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Mateo and also East Palo Alto.


This was my hairstyle a few weeks ago. I had this hairstyle in particular to represent my sense of independence and also not afraid to cross racial boundaries


Summary


All in all, no design of a car, wall painting of even graffiti is isolate or discrete. They all have their similarities by most likely originate from different background which gives each one a different meaning to each one. In this case, the resources also have an influence on what is being used by these urban designers and how they are appreciated. This also supports the fact that an advancement in technology has the same effect on graphic designing the same way that financial resources has a given effect on a given society or a community.


Territory marked in Mountain View




This is unfortunately a sign of a certain gang their territory. I took this photograph in San Mateo, around 3rd Avenue, on Mac Arthur Street.



Sources
History of Graphic Design
East Palo Alto
San Mateo

No comments: